Summer vacation has started…swimming, mosquitos, summer learning loss. Here are some ways to prevent summer learning loss and be an intelligent parent to your kids 24/7.
Check out these web sites with ideas for preventing summer learning slide:
- Summer Slide and the Importance of Reading over the Summer from the Colorado Department of Education
- Great websites for kids from the Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association
KEEPING MINDS ACTIVE WITH READ-ALOUDS
One important summer learning task for parents and care-givers – read aloud to your children…EVERY DAY.
“The single most important activity for building the knowledge required for eventual success in reading is reading aloud to children.” — Becoming a Nation of Readers
Need some help with read aloud? Try these…
- The Treasury of Read Alouds
- The Read Aloud Handbook
- Reading Magic: Why Reading Aloud to Our Children Will Change Their Lives Forever
- Best Books to Read Aloud with Children of All Ages
- Reading Aloud Tips for Parents and Teachers
- Reading Is FUNdamental: Reading Aloud
- Caldecott Medal Home Page
- Newbery Medal Home Page
Also see the excellent web site from the National Summer Learning Association
Increase harmony during summer vacation with some tips from parenting experts. Don’t just read the lists here…go to the sites and take a look.
- What you do matters.
- You cannot be too loving.
- Be involved in your child’s life.
- Adapt your parenting to fit your child.
- Establish and set rules.
- Foster your child’s independence.
- Be consistent.
- Avoid harsh discipline.
- Explain your rules and decisions.
- Treat your child with respect.
- Nurture Your Child’s Self-Esteem
- Catch Kids Being Good
- Set Limits and Be Consistent With Your Discipline
- Make Time for Your Kids
- Be a Good Role Model
- Make Communication a Priority
- Be Flexible and Willing to Adjust Your Parenting Style
- Show That Your Love Is Unconditional
- Know Your Own Needs and Limitations as a Parent